Sunday 8 March 2015

How They Worked It Out

Paul.McCartney.Linda.McCartneyTo mark International Women’s Day 2015, I’m sharing a snippet about the late Linda McCartney, first wife and eternal soul-mate of musician, Sir Paul.

The received wisdom insists that the former Linda Eastman was  related to the George Eastman family of Eastman Kodak fame.

But the truth is that her father was Leopold Vail Epstein,  the son of Jewish Russian immigrants to the USA who changed his name to Lee Eastman.

What else is undeniable is that related or not to the Eastman Kodaks, Linda was an ace photographer. It is also said that Sir Paul, who has a soft spot for nice American Jewish girls,  still holds a candle for Linda, who died from breast cancer in 1998 aged only 56. His present wife, Nancy Shevell, is well aware of this.                                                    

He says of Linda’s work: “Who was the most important photographer covering the sixties' rock and roll music scene? I can think of no one else whose work was so comprehensive and who captured the essence better than Linda”.

I’ve been moved to re-post this  news as I read it after returning home from last week’s monthly Karmiel Folk Club session which included a Beatles’ tribute.

So I end here with a piece from McCartney – a great one for musicians and poetic writers – with sagacious and optimistic advice for women everywhere.

We Can Work It Out

Paul McCartney

“Try to see it my way
Do I have to keep on talking till I can't go on
While you see it your way
Run the risk of knowing that our love may soon be gone
We can work it out
We can work it out.

“Think of what you're saying
You can get it wrong and still you think that it's alright
Think of what I'm saying
We can work it out and get it straight or say good night
We can work it out
We can work it out.

“Life is very short, and there's no time
For fussing and fighting, my friend
I have always thought that it's a crime
So I will ask you once again

“Try to see it my way
Only time will tell if I am right or I am wrong
While you see it your way
There's a chance that we may fall apart before too long
We can work it out
We can work it out.

“Life is very short, and there's no time
For fussing and fighting my friend
I have always thought that it's a crime
So I will ask you once again

“Try to see it my way
Only time will tell if I am right or I am wrong
While you see it your way
There's a chance that we might fall apart before too long
We can work it out
We can work it out”.

© Natalie Wood

(first published 08 March 2015; edited 14 March 2015)

No comments: