Saturday 31 October 2015

The Most Beloved One of All

(Prompted by a translation of a Greek poem inscribed on the wall of the burial cave at Beit Guvrin, south of Jerusalem).

Betrothed to Me Forever

On a fruitless day in a place

whose faded paths forever

bode autumn, I stumbled on

a lover’s note scrawled upon a wall.

Beit Guvrin Burial Cave Inscription

“I write wrapped tight in your dear

cloak”, it read, “just as fast as once

you clasped me in your arms.

“But grasp this well. Should

we be allowed to meet but once

again, we must barely bend our

heads in greeting.

“No shared smile, no slight sign that

in another place we were ever

more than fleeting friends.

“After those things – terrible things

– nought remains that I may do to

please you.

“So while I sleep with someone else,

I beg as you read my words, let

me flee while I allow you breadth

of freedom.

“In return, neither scream nor

strike this wall in anger. Believe

instead that I vow in Aphrodite’s name

we will be in eternity like lovers new –

betrothed as if forever.

“In sum, it is you I love. You’ll

always be my most beloved

one of all”.

Mark.UlyseasThis piece first appeared in Volume 3 of the December 2015 edition of Live Encounters magazine as Betrothed to Me Forever(http://liveencounters.net/2015/10/31/live-encounters-magazine-vol-3-december-2015-2/) edited by Mark Ulyseas, a faithful supporter of Israel and all matters Jewish.

© Natalie Wood (31 October 2015)

1 comment:

Natalie Wood said...

Credit must go to journalist, Matti Friedman for first alerting me to the original inscription for this piece. He wrote in a Facebook post: "In a Hellenistic-era burial cave at Beit Guvrin today, written on a wall over a drawing of Cerberus, the three-headed dog of mythology, I encountered four freaky lines of ancient Greek. It seems like the kind of thing that should be better known. Apparently scholars aren't quite sure what to make of it. Here's the English translation:
"Nothing else remains that I can do for you, or that will pleasure you. I am sleeping with someone else now, but it is you I love, dearest to me of all. In the name of Aphrodite, I am happy about one thing, that your cloak has been left to me as a pledge.
But I flee, and permit you expanses of freedom.
Do not strike the wall, it only makes noise.
We will motion to each other; this will be the sign between us."
I then discovered a blog with a full translation of the fragment and wrote the poem around it. Enjoy!